A Day of Resilience
Commemorating the 400th Anniversary of Transatlantic Slave Trade
Return, Reconcile, Reunite, Rejoice!
Harriet Tubman Mural Ribbon Cutting and Dedication and
Constituency For Africa (CFA)’s Harriet Tubman Town Hall Meeting on Africa
Keynote speaker- Dr. Julius Garvey
Schedule of Events
Drum call, pouring of libations, dance and spoken word at the Dorchester County Courthouse
– A processional, “The Healing Journey”, from the Courthouse to the Harriet Tubman Mural
1:00 pm – Harriet Tubman Mural dedication featuring drumming, guest speakers, and Ribbon Cutting with the artist Michael Rosato, Dorchester Chamber of Commerce, Maryland State Arts Council and special guests
- A luncheon for visiting dignitaries at The Harriet Tubman Museum and Educational Center with local restaurants, vendors and food trucks serving the general public
After the Ribbon Cutting, there will be several afternoon events happening simultaneously
- 7th Annual Remembrance Ceremony at the Cambridge Marina. Souls at Sea is an on-water libation and remembrance ceremony commemorating the lives lost in the waters along the Middle Passage.
- Constituency for Africa
(CFA)’s Harriet Tubman Town Hall Meeting on Africa at Waugh United Methodist Church, 425 High Street, will feature Keynote Speaker Dr. Julius Garvey and Linda Thomas Greenfield, Former Asst. Secretary of State for African Affairs, as moderator. A panel will feature three ambassadors from Africa:
- Ambassador Mahamadou Nimaga, Embassy of the Republic of Mali,
- Ambassador Monica N. Nashandi, Embassy of the Republic of Namibia
- Ambassador Frederic Edem Hegbe, Embassy of the Republic of Togo
- The Harriet Tubman Underground Rail Road Visitors Center will provide a ranger-led introduction tour to the park which is about a 20 minute drive from Cambridge. It is located amid the landscapes where Harriet Tubman lived and toiled. The Tubman Visitor Center is open until 5pm.
– Rejoice with us at The Gathering at Cannery Way to reflect on the day and continue the celebration of Harriet Tubman. Vendors, music and food will be available!
Shuttle Services will be available.
This event is a coordinated effort with Alpha Genesis Community Development Corporation, The Dorchester Center for the Arts, The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center, The Harriet Tubman Museum, Waugh United Methodist Church, the Maryland State Arts Council and the Dorchester Chamber of Commerce.